Directors of Guest Euphoria
Thank you for your interest in BattenKill Canoe.
We are currently accepting applications for part time and full time staff for the summer of 2009. We are seeking canoe guides, river trip shuttle drivers, office and retail sales help. Entry level and senior positions are available. Most staff begin as a shuttle driver on the BattenKill, and then begin to assist with touring operations as soon as they are able.
We are especially interested in traits such as: a sincere desire to help other people, a good sense of self, a love of the outdoors, and the maturity to accept responsibility. It is extremely important for international staff to have an international drivers license and be able to communicate clearly in English with our guests since you will be responsible for providing them with a general safety briefing.
I started BattenKill Canoe 24 years ago, and today we are driven by the same goals that we started with back in 1983.
- Adventure travel and outdoor recreation is the chance to explore different cultures and environments. And traveling by paddle and foot assures a full rich experience -- the way we are supposed to interact with our world….
- But there is more to travel. We must learn to love life, to enjoy and rock the cradle of life -- to walk in the sun. Our greatest duty as outfitters and guides is to inspire fellow travelers and acquaintances to become involved in the healing of our great mother earth and allow nature to rebuild her exquisite beauty. We all must help, providing helping hands to the healing process that requires her garden of life be kept in glorious bedlam -- not paved and bottled, not cut and pruned, but growing in sweet disorder...
Sharing our passion for the worlds extraordinary people, places and wildlife are what BattenKill is all about. Let us be your hosts as you travel secure with the knowledge that you are backed by a solid organization where every visitor becomes a friend. We are determined to make the difference between your vacation being just good...and being great.
BattenKill Canoe is committed to achieve the goals outlined in our three part Mission Statement which gives equal importance to the quests for excellence in operations, economic prosperity for both the Company and Employees, while exercising active Social Responsibility to both local and global communities.
Our collective Objectives are to:
- Build a company that is honest, has integrity, and is loyal to its people that is responsible to the customer, society and the environment.
- Encourage every team member to take well calculated risks, make good decisions, exercise initiative and not to be afraid of making mistakes that are "above the water line”. Inspire, train and educate our customers and staff to reach for their full human potential.
- We, all staff, are here to enhance the participation and heighten the experiences of our guests generally taking them into the outdoors. Adventure travel should be an experience that transforms self. The BattenKill Art of Gentle Guiding should provide the framework for guests to attain that transformation of self.
All Directors of Guest Euphoria (staff) will act as an ambassador of BattenKill Canoe in all facets of operations. You will share our mission of ethical personal and business practices, social responsibility, dedication to guest satisfaction, and our uncompromising pride with what we do.
About BattenKill Canoe
BattenKill is currently accepting applications for part time and full time staff. We are seeking canoe guides, river trip shuttle drivers, office and retail sales help. Entry level and senior positions are available.
It is important that you are familiar with our trips and destinations before applying. Please visit our web site at www.battenkill.com. Many of your questions will be answered here. We are looking for individuals who already have expertise in these areas, or who are interested in becoming an adventure guide.
Do you have "the right stuff" to be a Director of Guest Euphoria with BattenKill?
Each guide joins us with a unique personality, but we all share these critical qualities as well.
- Guide and Shuttle applicants need to be at least 21 years old. We have 1 Assistant Guide position for those who are not yet 21.
- We are passionate about the outdoors, preferable with paddling and/or hiking experience.
- Our collective foundation is sharing your joy of interacting actively with the outdoors and your love for the beauty of the natural and cultural world with our guests.
- We must have a Valid Drivers License and clean driving record, preferably with passenger CDL endorsement. Please note: we are unable to consider you for the Trip Leader Position if you have ever received a DUI/DWI.
- We have a zest for life and desire to share it with others: a spirited conversationalist who is friendly, caring secure and confident, yet at ease when speaking to groups. Sharing your knowledge intelligently and generously.
- Guides are responsible for providing an atmosphere where our clients can explore, and experience the personal growth and satisfaction that is possible through adventure travel.
- Are you good at anticipating, troubleshooting, and solving challenging problems; showing compassion, patience and an unwavering sense of humor; while thinking on your feet and communicating with your head.
- All staff must be physically able to lift, move and load canoes and kayaks on trailers along with other equipment.
- Always searching for smarter ways to get the job done. Never losing sight of the big picture while focusing on the details.
- First aid skills and CPR preferred, however BCL offers class in late May/early June in conjunction with annual staff training.
- Prior guiding experience is preferred but not required.
- All staff must have demonstrated through previous assignments good work ethics, along with the ability to work well with others and to exercise sound judgment independently under minimum supervision.
- All staff must be constantly aware of all risk management issues.
- Well-rounded life experience
- A warm smile and encouraging nature
- Being forever flexible
Special Notes for International Students
Traditionally we hire 3 to 5 international staff each year. It is especially important for international staff to be able to communicate clearly in English with our guests since you will be responsible for providing them with a general safety briefing. It is also mandatory for you to have an International Drivers License so that you can be listed on our insurance policy.
Some other skills that we are in need of and could enhance your possibility of hiring. But remember that we are all Canoe Guides and our role as Directors of Guest Euphoria remains paramount.
- Comfortable, confident and willing to work in the office
- Mechanical auto repair skills,
- Carpentry building skills.
Most staff begin as shuttle drivers on the Batten Kill, and then begin to assist with touring operations as soon as they are able.
- All Staff are hired with mandatory Probationary Training Period with a starting base salary of $1550.00/month.
- Most staff are promoted to permanent Guide status ($1750.00/month) within 2 weeks and is based on evaluation of the following:
- ability to give our guests the manditory safety briefing.
- basic canoe skills,
- awareness of risk management and First Aid,
- CDL learners permit with passenger endorsement and exhibiting good driving skills.
- Guides are responsible for completing unfinished training after probation.
- Salary supplements are negotiated based on experience and skills at the time of hire or at the end of probation.
- While tips are difficult to predict, most shuttle guides receive between $50.00 and $125.00 in tips for running shuttle on the Batten Kill. Tips on trips will range from $75.00 to $100.00 per guest on the trip.
- We are paid by salary and our monthly work schedule averages 22 workdays. We have a rotating schedule of 6 days on, 2 days off and every 5th week you will have 4 days off over a weekend.
- Our season is from Date of Hire through October 15, unless mutual written arrangements are agreed upon by both BCL and employee and is incorporated into the Staff Agreement which also provides for significant penalties for quitting without proper notice.
Are You Ready to Apply?
- Once you have read the Information Packet, and you feel your skills match our qualifications, Please submit your application. While we recruit and schedule guides on a year round basis, most staff hiring is confirmed during the first quarter of the year.
- Application - Complete & submit. You may either complete the online application. Sometimes the internet does not cooperate, and some people have troubles submitting their application. You may fill out the enclosed application and fax it back to us.
- Please send an accompanying cover letter of your interest in joining us.
- Please include a copy of your resume or C.V. - (If your resume is not specific to guiding, but details relevant experience, please highlight as such in your cover letter.
The application form, cover letter and resume/CV form may be submitted online, or via standard mail, e-mail or fax or in person at our office in Arlington VT.
Thank you and we look forward to hearing from you soon if you think you fit the bill. Please contact us directly if you have any additional questions on our hiring process or if you need special consideration.
BattenKill Canoe, Ltd.
800.421.5268 or 802.362.2800 fax--802.362.0159
©2007 BattenKill Canoe, Ltd.. All rights reserved